Bahasa Indonesia - Class Syllabus
BEGINNER LEVEL (CHILDREN, 7-14 yrs-old)
This course is designed for students who have little or no experience speaking in Bahasa Indonesia. It will provide students with the basic structures they need to communicate in Bahasa Indonesia.
Classes are interactive, mirroring everyday situations and requiring a variety of skills. Grammar is presented through example with an emphasis on both speaking and writing during class drills, choral work, and small-group discussions. A short presentation, listening to audio recordings, singing, watching film/videos and short readings will also be used as teaching aids.
Every Saturday; 6 sessions; March 4 - April 8, 2017.
11am - 1pm (2 hours/session) at Building 4 - Room 149, Massachusetts Institute of Technology ((MIT), 182 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA - 02139-4307.
Course instruction: 50% in Bahasa Indonesia, 50 % in English
Aria Citra Kusuma (Aria)
Topics : Alphabet and Colors
Grammar : Using ini and itu to show existence and expression saya punya…. and warna apa?
1. Students will be able to pronounce and perceive Indonesian alphabets.
2. Students will be able to recognize colors.
3. Students will be able to combine names of things/animals with the colors.
4. Students will be able to make a short conversation asking about things and colors.
Topics : Numbers, Hours, and Money
Grammar : Question word berapa, addition, and subtraction
1. Students will be able to pronounce and perceive Indonesian numbers 1-10.
2. Students will be able to pronounce and perceive Indonesian numbers -teen, -ty, hundred, and thousand
3. Students will be able to add and subtract Indonesian numbers
Topics : Days and Months
Grammar : Question word berapa and kapan expressions using besok, kemarin, kalau hari ini..., bulan kemarin, bulan depan, kalau bulan ini…
1. Students will be able to pronounce and perceive Indonesian days.
2. Students will be able to recognize Indonesian days.
3. Students will be able to recognize Indonesian months.
4. Mid test (Speaking and Writing)
Topics : Daily activities
Grammar : Question word kapan and apa
1. Students will be able to recognize daily activities in Bahasa Indonesia
2. Students will be able to tell about their daily activities
Topics : Adjective
Grammar : Comparative adjectives lebih… and paling… and expletive ada…
1. Students will be able to recognize how to use adjectives in Bahasa Indonesia
2. Students will be able to compare adjectives of surrounding objects
Topics : Review and Final Test
1. Reviewing materials (days and months, daily activities, and adjectives)
2. Final test (Speaking and Writing)
Course Policies and Expectations
Active participation in class and, therefore, regular attendance is required. The instructor should be notified a day (24 hours) in advance in case a student is absent.
Evaluation and Grades
Varied types of evaluation are included in the class to keep both students and instructor aware of students' progress. During the semester, students will take midterm and end of semester exams.
Class participation including attendance: 40%
Homework and Assignments: 30%
Textbook (print edition):
1. Indonesian Ways
2. Let's Speak Indonesia
3. Indonesian Grammar
Grammar Book (recommended):
Sneddon, James Neil, et.al. Indonesian: A Comprehensive Grammar. London: Routledge, 2010 (available in Harvard library and on Amazon)
Echols, John & Shadily, Hasan. 1996. Indonesian English
Sederet on line dictionary: http://sederet.com/
*** *** ***